This blog has moved! Please visit my new website:

Flashback Friday: Collaborative Clue Book

>> Friday, April 9, 2010



Ok, I admit it. I've missed a few Fridays lately with this Flashback Friday series. Custom orders, an upcoming craft fair, and restocking my Etsy shop have been keeping me busy lately. And I've been blogging about all sorts of other things, from artists features to haircuts. But the flashbacks are back with a collaborative book from 2008, which seems particularly relevant because I'm currently participating in a collaboration with members of BEST.

As our final project for a relief printmaking course at the University of Georgia, the entire class collaborated to make a series of limited edition, perfect-bound books. The theme was "Clue," and the inspiration could come from the board game, the movie, or just a general feeling of mystery.

The pages I made for the book are shown above. I carved an image of the board game pieces into a sheet of linoleum, and then printed it onto rag paper with black ink. For this particular print, I added green paper to the edges of the pages, as well as to Mr. Green's shirt. But each print was different, using the corresponding colors for Mrs. Peacock, Professor Plum, Mr. Green, Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, and Mrs. White (from left to right).



The image above was made by my classmate, Patrick Triggs. His page was one of my favorites in the book. Rather than referring directly to the board game, his image is actually a self portrait partially covered by a larger-than-life thumbprint.



Maggie Smith created a series of tarot cards featuring the Clue characters. Instead of serving as a page in the book, they fit into two pockets inside of the book.



The cover, shown above, was made by our instructor Jennifer Manzella.

Participants: Kathryn Byrne, Matthew Cremeens, Bess Gaby, Katie Graham, Alexis Gruczkowski, Sophie Howell, Timothy McLeod, Morgan Roberts, Emily Rossell, Maggie Smith, Danielle Tobin, Colin Tom, Patrick Triggs, and myself

7 comments:

Anonymous April 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

So cool! And I am loving that larger-than-life thumbprint.

Lizzie April 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

Such a unique project. Did everyone have a complete copy of the collaboration book(s) at the end of the project, or were they used for some other purpose?

Katie April 9, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Elena- Yes, I agree. Patrick's page was certainly one of my favorites in the book.

Lizzie- Yup, we all had a complete copy of the book at the end. (And I'm glad we did! It's fun to have a collection of everyone's work!) After we finished printing our pages, we distributed them so each person had one copy of each page. Then we each assembled our own book using the same method.

Unknown August 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM  

It kills me to not be able to see the other 2 tarot cards. The 4 pictured are stunning! Is there anywhere else I could look at these? The Website posted for Maggie seems to be down.

Katie August 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM  

Hi Emily,

Thanks for taking a look at my blog, and I'm glad to hear that you like Maggie's tarot cards so much. I do have photos of the other two cards. I'd be happy to e-mail them to you if you'd like to see them. What's the best e-mail address to send the pictures to? You can also see more images of Maggie's work here: http://iamnotmaggie.com/ (Although I don't think the tarot cards are included on her website.)

Cheers,
Katie

Unknown September 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown September 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP